Helping Children In Need
Adjust Volume to Hear the Video
Mocha Shrine Patient Transportation Fund
A registered federally licensed charity. Donations are income tax deductible and these donations are received from the public as well as Shriners. Funds received are available only for transportation, care and expenses of the patients and their custodians to and from Shrine Hospitals for Children. In order for the fund to continue, shrine clubs and units make donations to help offset the expenses incurred.
Shriners Hospitals for Children
Provide Orthopaedic, burn and spinal cord injury care for children up to age 18 at our various hospitals in Canada, U.S., and Mexico. There are 20 hospitals in the United States and one each in Canada and Mexico. Children are eligible for care if there is a reasonable possibility the child will benefit from the available services provided by the shrine hospital system. Shriners Hospitals rely on donations from Shriners and the general public.
Support One Of Our Causes
Thank You For Your Donation
To make a donation please email
firstname.lastname@example.org for an Etransfer and have your full name in the email message or call us with your credit card with the same information
during business hours at the Office 519-672-1391 Monday - Friday
8:00 am to 3:30 pm.
The year is 1886, London, Ontario and alone Shriner is living in the city. He together with members of Knights Templar, who had been initiated in Detroit Michigan petitioned to form a Shrine Temple in London. A dispensation was issued for “Sultanat Temple” and for a short time, London had the honour of having Canada’s first Shrine Temple. However, the time was not yet right for “Sultanat Temple” and it soon became dormant and the dispensation was recalled.
Shrinedom in London dates from January 1, 1908, with the foundation of Mocha Temple, and the seventh Shrine Temple in Canada. Noble Harry Collins, Potentate of Rameses Temple in Toronto, was instrumental in obtaining the charter. Noble Collins later became Imperial Potentate. The name “Mocha” was chosen by the first Recorder, Noble Ed Struthers.
The Shrine was seen as an organization where members could relax and enjoy themselves. Shrine bands, parades, and elaborate costumes were part of the make up. It was said that “the order was not much more than frolic for Masons of high degree”, and perhaps this stimulated interest among Masons enough to steadily increase the membership figures.
What was not so visible was that even in those years considerable sums were raised for benevolence and charitable projects.
At one ceremonial a Union Jack was carried around the hall and after an initial donation of $500.00, a further amount of $466.60 was raised for poor children of the city of London. This is much more than it seems now when we think of what a dollar would buy in those days. On another occasion, the Salvation Army, the schools and other organizations supplied the names of 600 children who were in poor circumstance and they were all supplied with Christmas repast. 1917 saw a contribution to the fund for victims of the Halifax explosion. In 1930 the bands and patrol entertained the children from orphanages at the Western Fair. A patriotic endeavor was the subscription of $500.00 for the Peace Memorial at the Exhibition Grounds in Toronto. During the war of 1939 – 1945 a number of Shriners served in the armed forces and war charities were supported. In the year of 1940 Mocha presented a $1,600.00 Ford ambulance to the Minister of Militia. The children were not forgotten and Shriners have provided transportation, entertainment, films and other amusements for their enjoyment. Since 1920, Mocha’s main charity has been the Shriners’ Hospitals for Children and many hundreds of thousands of dollars have been raised for this worthy undertaking.
Shrine activities continued to flourish over the years. In order to provide a place for meetings and other functions, one of the stately old homes on Waterloo Street in London was purchased. In 1955 this building was sold and the Smallman residence at 468 Colborne Street was purchased with some of the contents. Additions have been made, but the architectural beauty of the original building has been maintained. The Trustees work hard to maintain the grounds, rooms, and furnishings. In 1977 the banquet halls were added on for meetings and social functions. In the recent past, the interior and exterior of the building have been refurbished and redecorated completely along with new furniture in the main lounge area.
Mocha Temple is a place where any Shriner would be proud to bring his family and friends for lunch.
Mocha Shrine Centre Reception& Banquet Facility
This large Edwardian home displays elegant aspects of the era, including large windows, superb craftsmanship in the glasswork, stone carvings, and carpentry. Modern banquet facilities to meet your needs have been added. We boast a large selection of menus for every occasion. Serviced by a five-star hospitality staff.
Plenty of on-site parking.
Formal dining room—seats 30
Main banquet hall—seats up to 200
Lower banquet hall—seats up to 150
For Facility information
468 Colborne Street
For Catering information